Saturday, October 01, 2011

feeling festive.

This week I was, as the title says, feeling festive and decided it was time to decorate for fall in our apartment. So during last week's visit to the pumpkin patch we picked this one and thanks to my trusty Sharpie it is now our fall 'welcome' sign.
 Now there are millions of other ideas floating around in my brain, some which would end up costing too much and some my husband would just simply not appreciate. 

Him and I, we have different tastes you could say...
I like old. 
He likes new. 
I like eclectic.
He likes normal.
I like re-purposing things.
He likes using things for their intended purpose.

Do you get what I'm sayin'?

Well what happens is, normally I come up with what I think is a great idea, that he just does not understand and that is completely opposite of his decorative taste.
It's okay, we grow and learn in these experiences!

[Like the time I went outside searching for the perfect tree limb to hang my necklaces on. I found a beautiful one, hauled it upstairs and into our bedroom and stuck it in the corner behind two antique trunks, thoughtfully placed my necklaces on the branches, and sat back on the bed admiring it and dreaming of spray painting it a wonderful color.]
He came home not long after and as he walked into the bedroom I heard him say, "What have you done?"
The tree branch was gone later that evening.]

I have to admit a lot of my crafty projects have similar stories attached to them. But there are some he does appreciate! 


Well, in feeling festive I created a table runner out of old doilies that were passed down to me from my great-Grandmothers. I've seen cute pictures of this idea before on the web and I've been wanting to try it for a while. These same doilies were also featured in our wedding! The best part about this decoration, Jonny kinda likes it!

And I think they go well with the mini white pumpkins I've made a centerpiece out of. . . 2 for a $1 at Kroger people, and so cute!
The mirrored tray also belonged to my great-Grandma, Meme

The mini pumpkins are all around our apartment, I just love them. I almost got a big white pumpkin, which wouldv'e been a wrong move entirely. The little ones are adorable, and a much better deal!

Now these dishes are for goodies,(ya know, candies, nuts, mints etc.) but since my husband has a sweet tooth and more often than not can be found at this coffee table with books surrounding him, there will only be goodies there when we have company. The center green tray I got at Target for $1 and the two white ones are Belleek trays from Meme, again. Noticing a pattern here? I love hand me downs!
The lamp below also belonged to "Meems" as I liked to call her.

Another great place for a pumpkin? I think so!
Now I think I've saved the best for last, over at Madigan Made, she made a beautiful brass thumbtack wreath. I thought the idea was really cool, and supposed to be cheap but I'm awful at math and got jipped on some thumbtacks so my wreath wasn't as cheap as I intended it to be. 
Jonny has made me promise to use it until we have grey hairs.

But, he does like it! Hooray!


Now obviously, I didn't cover the whole wreath with thumbtacks like Madigan's, but I think the end result is still pretty neat. I spent a good two and a half hours strategically placing those thumbtacks! I ran out exactly when half of the wreath was covered and decided to use ribbon for the bottom half instead. 
I was really just so eager to have our first wreath and couldn't be bothered getting MORE thumbtacks.
Happy Fall from us Atkinsons!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...